Ethnic Studies Graduate Program Student Accomplishments AY 2021-2022
May 31, 2022
Hector M. Callejas
- Accepted a three-year IDEAL Provostial Fellowship at Stanford University
- Presented at the annual meetings for the American Anthropological Association and the Latin American Studies Association
- Received an Outstanding GSI Award
- Awarded The John L. Simpson Pre-Dissertation Research Fellowship, Global International & Area Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Awarded Fellowship for Continuing Graduate Students, Center for Korean Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Awarded The Toraji Prize in Korean American Studies, Asian American Research Center, UC Berkeley.
- Organized UC Berkeley’s Center for Korean Studies’ annual conference, “K-Pop Ecologies” where I also presented my paper, “Building K-pop’s (Meta-)Universe: Spectacular Beauty, Speculative Futures, and Virtual Worlds”.
- Presented my paper, “Spectacular Bodies: Mediated Spectatorship and the Figure of the Korean/American Woman in Digital Media,” at the Association for Asian American Studies’ annual conference in Denver, CO.
- Presented my paper, “Monstrous Beauty: Unruly Bodies and Diasporic Plasticity in kate-hers RHEE’s The Multiverse Portraits and The Halfway Point,” at the Sixth Annual Berkeley-Stanford Graduate Symposium: Work in Progress at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
Jaskirat Kaur Hothi:
- Presented “The Intimacies of the Individual and the Social: A Theory of Mutuality” at the American Studies Association Conference
- Listed as an Alternate for the Ford Predoctoral Fellowship
- Selected as 2022-23 Berkeley Connect Fellow
- Lead Organizer for the “Food Relatives: Decolonizing and Indigenizing the Global Food System” conference, hosted by the Food Institute Graduate Council
- Published “Cyborgian Model Minorities for Environmental Justice: East Asian American Studies from the 1991 National People of Color Environmental Leadership Summit” in Environmental Justice, one of the leading publications in the field.
- Received a Summer FLAS award to study French
- Presented research at the American Society for Environmental History Conference, the Association of Asian American Studies Conference, and the University of Maryland Symposium on Environmental Justice
- Awarded a 2022-23 Ethnic Studies Teaching Fellowship
- Received Outstanding GSI Award